Saint Elmo was known as a “Saturday Night Town” located near the Denver, South Park & Pacific railroad line. St. Elmo became a favorite place for miners and railroad workers.
The failure of numerous mines, and the closure of the Alpine Tunnel in 1910 started the decline of St. Elmo. The town officially died on Sept. 30, 1952, when the post office closed, but most residents left after the last mine closed in the 1930s.
Saint Elmo today has numerous structures that are still standing, but are all privately owned. Some of the surviving buildings include City Hall, built in 1882, with two small jail cells and an iron ball and chain attached to a boulder, and the school building, built in 1880. Located on the east side of main street was the location of the Town Hall as well as Stark family residences. These buildings were lost in a fire April 15 2002. There is currently a fund raiser to help rebuild the Town Hall. The Stark family was the last family to leave St. Elmo in 1958. The stark family owned the Home Comfort Hotel the telegraph office and Post Office. They also had a retail General Store to keep the miners with plenty of supplies.
From Beuna Vista, take US 285 south to Nathrop, and then County Road 162 west. Follow for approx. 16 miles to St. Elmo.